Sunday, 19th August 2018
Social media Waterford Today on Twitter Waterford Today on Facebook

Senior hurlers crash out

TThe Waterford Senior Footballers and Minor Hurlers who stole the headlines last weekend as they put in tremenduous performances to keep live their championship ambitions. The Waterford Senior Hurlers however were on the wrong end of a 2-26 to 1-16 beating by Limerick in round three of the Munster Championship.

On Saturday in Wexford Park the footballers were facing a team who had competed in Division Three of the League. A formidable challenge considering the Deise had not won a championship game in seven years and that was against London.

Conditions were hot and draining as referee Cormac Reilly got proceedings underway before a sparce attendance. Midway through the half Wexford had built up a 0-5 to 0-2 lead with St Fintan St Fintan’s Donal Shanley leading the way for the hosts. However the pendulum swung dramatically as JJ Hutchinson placed Shane Ryan for the opening goal. This gave Waterford huge lift and they followed up with points from Hutchinson, Jason Curry, Killian Power and Tommy Prendergast. A second goal for Waterford arrived before the break as Brian Looby passed to JJ Hutchinson and the latter rifled a brilliant goal. Waterford ahead at the break 2-7 to 0-10. In the second half a black card for Gavin Crotty saw Joe Allen into the fray and what an introduction. Minutes after the substitution he had the ball in the back of the net and when

Conor Murray (1) Jason Curry (3) landed points the Deise had extended their lead to 3-14 to 0-15. Wexford appeared slightly shell shocked but under the drive of both Shanley and John Tubritt allied to a goal from Naomhan Rossiter they had brought the lead back to just two points. However Waterford remained composed and the celebrations, and a little jig from manager McGlinchy began at the final whistle.

Magnificent Minors

Following a surprise win over Tipperary the previous week the Waterford minor hurlers were again put to the test on Sunday last as they faced a highly fancied Limerick in Round Three of the Munster campaign. Waterford led at halftime 0-10 to 0-7 thanks to some superb points from Michael Kiely, James Power, Caolan MacCraith, Ciaran Keating and Christopher Kavanagh. The Waterford workrate left Limerick with problems all around the field. The second half began with a point for Waterford from MacCraith and Sam Fitzgerald either side of a Limerick brace. With Waterford leading 0-12 to 0-9 and forty minutes on the clock, it was the hosts who cracked the opening goal from Bob Purcell. Both teams fought for the ascendancy and Waterford finally cracked the Limerick defence in the 61st minute with a brace of goals from David Byrne and Gavin Corbett to take the points on a 2-17 to 1-13 scoreline. The Gary Morahan managed team will be full of confidence going into their final match against Cork on Sunday next with a place in the Munster Final at stake. Again like the previous weekend they finished stronger than their opponents

Senior Collapse

Whether it was the three games on consequetive Sundays or the fact that a number of regulars were out through injury but, the Waterford Senior Hurlers could never get to grips with Limerick in the second of this double header Parc na nGael fixtures. The Deise did open the scoring through Tom Devine and Dj Foran saw them 0-2 to 0-1 ahead within two minutes but from them to the quarter hour mark it was the Treatystone men who dominated with 2-5 without reply. The goals from Gearoid Hegarty and Graeme Mulcahy giving them a huge impetus. With the magnificent Shane Dowling unerring with his shooting the home side went to the break with a commanding 2-14 to 0-7 lead. Manager Derek McGrath realised that his team appeared "flat" and introduced Maurice Shanahan and Tommy Ryan for the second half. However despite an early flurry which saw Tommy Ryan goal on 41 minutes, it was Limerick who continued in the ascendancy leading 2-21 to 1-10 after 50 minutes. This was not going to be a Deise Day and while we can look back on the injuries and the umpire decisions leading up to this game, there was no denying but Limerick have made dramatic improvement and will be a difficult nut to crack over the coming weeks. The final score 2-26 to 1-16 tells it’s own story.


Letters to the Editor

  • Our View

    Rush to CriticismThere are not many people who at this stage have not heard about the Cash family and what happened to them. The mother and six of her children had to seek accommodation in the Tallaght Garda Station last week as they had absolutely nowhere to turn to. It led to an outcry as pictures of the young children sleeping on seats were posted to social media by the mother.Understandably there were a lot of people who were saddened to see that in this day and age that a family had to resor …

    read more »

Weekly Poll