Sunday, 19th August 2018
Social media Waterford Today on Twitter Waterford Today on Facebook
Across the Back by Booter

Ten-man Saints fall to the Blues

Waterford FC remain on course for European football next season following this victory at the RSC on Friday night last. The Saints never recovered from having central defender Kevin Toner sent off after just 15 minutes and the Blues went on to cement their third position on the league table.

It was the underside of the crossbar that denied the saints the lead goal on nine minutes when Conan Byrne whipped in a free kick from the right that was knocked down by Ryan Brennan into the path of Darragh Markey but his thunderous effort struck the woodwork before Kenny Browne headed clear.

Referee Ray Matthews was called into action to make a huge call on 15 minutes when Izzy Akinade outpaced Kevin Toner, who dragged the striker down as he raced clear of the goal and the Kerry whistler produced a straight red to the visiting defender who was deemed the last man back.

Courtney Duffus had a brilliant chance to put the home side in front on 28 minutes when Akinade got the better of Ian Bermingham down the right channel before putting the ball on the head of the attacker but his close-range header was straight at St. Pat keeper Barry Murphy. Akinade found space for himself at the back post to meet a left-wing Derek Daly cross seven minutes but Murphy saved with ease before Faysel Kasmi teased up Rory Feely on the edge of the penalty area five minutes before the break but the defender couldn’t direct his right-footed effort on target. The Blues took the lead ten minutes into the second half when Rory Feely sent in a cross from the right that found the head of Izzy Akinade that saw his header tipped onto the crossbar by Barry Murphy but Courtney Duffus was on hand to head the close-range rebound to the net for his 10th league goal of the season. Rory Feely went close to doubling the lead with a glancing header on 63 minutes when he got on the end of a Faysel Kasmi corner kick but he couldn’t direct his effort on target as the ball whistled inside of Murphy’s right-hand post. After putting pen to paper on a new deal for the 2019 season, it was Izzy Akinade that doubled the lead on 75 minutes when he took a pass from Courtney Duffus deep inside the penalty area before slipping a right-footed shot past a helpless Barry Murphy.


Letters to the Editor

  • Our View

    Rush to CriticismThere are not many people who at this stage have not heard about the Cash family and what happened to them. The mother and six of her children had to seek accommodation in the Tallaght Garda Station last week as they had absolutely nowhere to turn to. It led to an outcry as pictures of the young children sleeping on seats were posted to social media by the mother.Understandably there were a lot of people who were saddened to see that in this day and age that a family had to resor …

    read more »

Weekly Poll