Sunday, 19th August 2018
Social media Waterford Today on Twitter Waterford Today on Facebook

Limerick hit ten man Blues for six

Waterford FC 3 - Limerick 6

Waterford's proud unbeaten home record came to an end at the RSC on Friday night last. It was a disappointing night in many ways but nevertheless the Blues are still in the top three on the league table.

The players had to put this display behind them and prepare for a visit to Dundalk on Monday. Their cause was not helped when midfield player Stanley Aborah was sent off after only 19 minutes and at that stage they were two goals behind. After Aborah's red card Limerick scored again two minutes later and the writing was on the wall at that stage. In fairness the home side battled back at they made it 3-2 just after the break but then a poor decision by the referee resulted in former Blues player Mark O'Sullivan making it 4-2 just before the hour mark. Courtney Duffus did reduce the margin to just a goal on 80 minutes but the Shannonsiders scored two more goal in the last ten minutes to round off what was an extraordinary contest.

The opener arrived on ten minutes when Conor Clifford whipped in a corner kick from the right that picked out the run of the unmarked Danny Morrissey and he planted a header past Lawrence Vigouroux from six yards.

A mistake from Blues defender David Webster gifted the visitors a second goal three minutes later when his loose back pass was intercepted by Morrissey, who raced clear on the right side of the area and he drilled a right-footed shot past a helpless Vigouroux.

The Blues were reduced to ten men when Stanley Aborah was issued with a straight red card on 19 minutes when referee Graham Kelly judged his two-footed lunge on Daniel Kearns.

It got even worse for the home side as they conceded their third goal of the game two minutes later when Billy Dennehy got to the left end line before whipping in a cross to the back post where Karl O'Sullivan hammered a close-range past the hapless Lawrence Vigouroux.

Izzy Akinade was denied a Blues goal with the woodwork on 36 minutes when he took a pass from Rory Feely before outmuscling Billy Dennehy, but his stunning right-footed 14-yard strike came back off the underside of the crossbar.

Waterford did get a goal less than a minute later when Gavan Holohan sent in a free kick from the halfway line that broke for Rory Feely and he did well to control the ball before firing an effort past keeper Clarke from ten yards.

Courtney Duffus halved the deficit for the home side two minutes into the second half when the on-loan striker from Oldham picked up the ball out on the right before cutting into the area before drilling the ball to the far corner past Brendan Clarke.

Limerick regained their two-goal advantage on 58 minutes when Barry Maguire clearly fouled Dylan Barnett in the area but somehow the whistle didn't sound, and former Blue Mark O'Sullivan hammered the loose ball past Vigouroux.

There was a half chance for Izzy Akinade to give the Blues a lifeline back into the game with 75 minutes on the clock when he contacted with a Courtney Duffus delivery from the left, but he failed to trouble Limerick keeper Brendan Clarke.

It was Duffus that gave the home faithful hope once again with a seventh goal of the tie five minutes later when he raced onto a flicked header from Izzy Akinade before holding his composure to drill a left-footed shot past Clarke.

Limerick put the game to bed with their fifth goal on 85 minutes when Barry Maguire latched onto a through ball from Mark O'Sullivan before firing past Lawrence Vigouroux as the Blues defence stood still.

Limerick scored a sixth goal from the penalty spot two minutes later when David Webster handled in the penalty area and it was Billy Dennehy that sent Vigouroux the wrong way from the spot.

WATERFORD FC: Lawrence Vigouroux, Rory Feely, Kenny Browne, Dylan Barnett, Bastien H


Letters to the Editor

  • Our View

    Rush to CriticismThere are not many people who at this stage have not heard about the Cash family and what happened to them. The mother and six of her children had to seek accommodation in the Tallaght Garda Station last week as they had absolutely nowhere to turn to. It led to an outcry as pictures of the young children sleeping on seats were posted to social media by the mother.Understandably there were a lot of people who were saddened to see that in this day and age that a family had to resor …

    read more »

Weekly Poll