Thursday, 20th September 2018
Social media Waterford Today on Twitter Waterford Today on Facebook

Double champions sink Blues in second half

Two goals early in the second half were good enough to take all three points for the league and cup champions in Turners Cross on Friday night last. A crowd of 6,443 were present to watch the clash between the Munster rivals and it has to be said that the First Division champions of last season Waterford FC more than held their own during the opening 45 minutes and they were not intimidated by their opponents. However when the teams emerged for the second period the home side lifted their game a gear or two and when they scored on 55 minutes and again in the 63rd minute there was no coming back for the visitors. There is no doubt that Waterford will not face a tougher game all season and despite the final result the players and supporters will not be to upset with the outcome. The Blues are a trifle weak up front but with a new striker, Courtney Duffus on board that area of the pitch will be improved. The team were due to return to action again on Monday night at the RSC against St Patrick's Athletic.

Waterford had the first chance of the game inside the opening two minutes when Paul Keegan whipped in a free kick from the left after a foul on Dean O’Halloran but central defender Kenny Browne headed straight into the hands of Mark McNulty from close range.

The hosts grew into the game with Kieran Sadlier played the ball into the path of Karl Sheppard four minutes later but his flicked effort was wide of the left-hand post before Conor McCormack latched onto the ball 30-yards however his shot was saved by Niall Corbet.

Rory Feely got free down the right channel on 27 minutes before putting a dangerous ball to the near post but Cork City defender Aaron Barry got his head to the ball before Izzy Akinade to knock the ball behind for a corner kick.

Bastien Héry showed an amazing piece of skill to leave two Cork players standing minutes later but his right-footed shot failed to trouble keeper Mark McNulty as the ball was well wide of the left-hand post as the Blues gave as good as they got against the champions.

It was Héry that nearly put the ball into the back of his net on the stroke of the half time whistle when a dangerous delivery from the right from Kieran Sadlier flashed across the area but thankfully the clearance from the Blues midfielder went the wrong side of the posts to the sound of the half time whistle.

Shane Griffin went close to putting the home side in front on 51 minutes when the left back sent in an effort from the left side that saw Blues keeper Niall Corbet do well to get a vital hand to the ball to divert it away from the danger zone.

Waterford fell behind to the opening goal of the contest four minutes later when Barry McNamee cracked in a shot that was parried by Corbet before Garry Comerford added to it but Gearoid Morrissey latched onto the breaking ball before drilling a low left-footed shot to the bottom corner to send the Shed wild.

The hosts doubled their lead with ease on 63 minutes when Kieran Sadlier got free down the left-side and with Garry Buckley allowed too much space to race to the near post when he beat keeper Niall Corbet with a neat right-footed finish from close range.

It has to be said that these two goals in quick succession took the sting out of the Waterford performance and although the Blues boss did make a couple of changes with the introduction of Derek Daly and Dylan Barnett, City were comfortable at the back as they took all three points from the first Munster derby of the season.

CORK CITY: Mark McNulty; Steven Beattie, Aaron Barry, Alan Bennett, Shane Griffin; Gearoid Morrissey, Conor McCormack, Barry McNamee (Colm Horgan `90), Garry Buckley (Jimmy Keohane `85), Kieran Sadlier (Michael Howard `88); Karl Sheppard

WATERFORD FC: Niall Corbet; Rory Feely, David Webster, Kenny Browne, Garry Comerford; Paul Keegan (Sander Puri `82), Stanley Aborah (Derek Daly `69), Bastien Héry, Gavan Holohan; Dean O’Halloran (Dylan Barnett `69), Izzy Akinade

Referee: Ben Connolly (Dublin)

Blues Sign Duo On Loan

Waterford FC announced that the club has signed Lawrence Vigouroux and Courtney Duffus on loan subject to international clearance.

Vigouroux started his youth career with Brentford before going on to play with both Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool. After a loan spell from the Anfield club to Swindon Town during which he made 33 appearances, the 24-year-old made a permanent move to Swindon where he was named player of the year last season.

He made 12 clean sheets for the Lee Power owned Swindon club despite it been relegated. Having made 90 appearances in the English League, his move to Waterford will bring significant experience to the Blues’ squad. Lawrence will wear the number 20 shirt for the 2018 season.

Courtney Duffus joins the club on loan from Oldham Athletic. After spending his youth career at Cheltenham and Everton, the 22-year-old centre forward spent four years at Goodison Park before going on loan with Bury. He moved to Oldham last summer and will be a big addition to the Blues squad.

Commenting on the double signings, Waterford FC manager Alan Reynolds said:

"I am delighted to welcome Lawrence Vigouroux and Courtney Duffus to the club. Lawrence is an experienced goalkeeper who has played at a high level with both Spurs and Liverpool before moving to Swindon.

"He will be a big asset to the club and his experience will also bring on both Matthew Connor and Niall Corbet. He has trained with us for the past couple of weeks and has looked impressive so we’ll see how he gels into the squad over the coming weeks.

"I’m also delighted to get Courtney Duffus on loan from Oldham. He is an exciting young striker and I’m looking forward to working with him. He played at reserve level for Everton before his move to Oldham and he is a player who will excite the fans. Courtney has been on our radar for some time as we sought to strengthen our forward line; it is great to finally get our man over the line ahead of the close of transfer window."

Waterford caught up with Lawrence Vigouroux after training this morning. The shot-stopper has been impressed so far with what he has arrived into. He said:

"There is a very good set up here in Waterford and it what I am used to, coming from England; the professionalism, sessions and coaching is all very good.

"I have come here to try and enjoy my football again, to get back to playing and hopefully help the club in any way that I can this season. Working with Dirk Heinen has been great. He is very professional and has already been one of the best goalkeeping coaches I have worked with. The club is lucky to have him – he is working hard to progress Matthew (Connor) and Niall (Corbet) to the next level and I feel that I am going to benefit greatly from his experience in the game that will hopefully bring all three of us to a higher standard.

'Having watched the lads play, I reckon that I will fit well into the style of football and the playing philosophy at the club. I am a goalkeeper who likes to play out from the back, get the ball to the feet and set up attacks. Hopefully now I can hit the ground running and help the club succeed."


Letters to the Editor

  • Waiting can be bad for your He...

    When the latest statistic that waiting times for patients had risen to their highest level yet, there can't have been too many people that were surprised.There are now over 700.000 people on waiting lists with over 50.000 of them children. That so many people are waiting for treatment in one of the most developed economies in the world is truly frightening. Of course you can take into account the underfunding of the health sector during the economic downturn but it still wouldn't fully explain why so ma …

    read more »

Weekly Poll