Tuesday, 17th July 2018
Social media Waterford Today on Twitter Waterford Today on Facebook

Waterford increase their lead at the top

Waterford FC 2 - Wexford FC 1

Waterford FC have moved six points clear at the top of the First Division league table following this hard earned victory over Wexford at the RSC on Friday night last. This was the third time this season that the Blues came out on top against their neighbours in league football and they also knocked them out of the ES Sports Cup. Just like the previous two league meetings the Waterford team had to battle hard to come out on top and in this contest they had to come from behind to win. The visitors went in at the interval with a one goal lead despite the fact that the hosts were completely on top but a goal just before the halftime whistle turned the game on it's head. Waterford brought on Dave McDaid for the second half and the striker who was ill during the days leading up to the match scored the equaliser from the penalty spot and ace marksman Mark O'Sullivan scored what proved to be the winning goal.With Cobh Ramblers losing to Cabinteely and UCD being held by Longford Town, Waterford now have clear daylight between themselves and the chasing pack. Next up is an away game against Longford this Saturday and that will be followed by two home games against Cobh Ramblers and Athlone Town. There is no doubt whatsoever that the long suffering supporters are now dreaming about promotion to the Premier League.

Sean Heaney, who was making his debut for Waterford, could have gotten off the mark with his first goal on two minutes when he got his head on the end of a left-wing Anthony McAlavey free kick but his close-range header was blocked out for a corner kick.

The Blues had a great chance to go in front on ten minutes when Patrick McClean picked out Kenny Browne with a neat pass and his sublime through ball set Conor Whittle free down the right side but his right-footed shot was turned out for a corner kick by Corey Chambers.

It was Chambers that came to his sides rescue on 17 minutes when Derek Daly was fouled out on the left-side of the penalty area and the netminder just got back in time to tip Anthony McAlavey’s dipping effort over the bar that saw Mark O’Sullivan header from the resulting corner kick kept out by the visiting defence.

With the Blues in control of the tie, it was Garry Comerford that got his head on the end of a brilliant Kenny Browne cross from the right at the back post on 35 minutes but his header was clawed around the posts by Corey Chambers.

Wexford FC took the lead totally against the run of play on 44 minutes when Aaron Dobbs took a pass from Andrew O’Connor on the left-side of the area before setting up Dean Kelly to fire past Matthew Connor from deep inside the area.

The Blues introduced David McDaid at the start of the second half and he nearly had an immediate impact when the striker took a pass from Derek Daly on the left-side of the area but his low near post shot was turned around the posts for a fruitless corner kick.

Waterford did draw level from the penalty spot on 59 minutes when John Martin did superbly well down the right before he was tripped by visiting defender Ross Kenny and it was McDaid that sent Chambers the wrong way from 12 yards.

It was a fine save from Wexford FC keeper Corey Chambers two minutes later that denied the Blues the lead goal when John Martin showed his class again out on the right-side to slip the ball in for David McDaid but his well struck shot was tipped over.

With the hosts with their tails up after coming back level, it was Derek Daly got free down the left-channel on 65 minutes but with McDaid and Anthony McAlavey unmarked inside a crowded area, he opted to drill the ball across the area that went wide of the far post.

The home side were celebrating the lead goal in the tie two minutes later when a magnificent left-wing corner kick from Derek Daly found the head of Mark O’Sullivan and he powered an unstoppable header past Corey Chambers from six yards.

It was a goal that sent the 1508 home faithful wild and although Wexford FC did cause a couple of nervy moments in the Blues defence in the final ten minutes, they never looked like getting a goal as other results in the division means that Waterford move six points clear at the summit of the table.

Waterford FC. Matthew Connor, Conor Whittle (Robin Dempsey `90), Kenny Browne, Patrick McClean, Sean Heaney, Anthony McAlavey, Garry Comerford (David McDaid `46), Shane O’Connor, John Martin, Derek Daly, Mark O’Sullivan (Dean O’Halloran `86)

Wexford FC. Corey Chambers, Craig McCabe (Andrew O’Connor `28), AJ Lehane, Ross Kenny, Owen McCormack, Mikey Byrne, Danny Doyle, Aaron O’Connor (Shane Dunne `73), Aaron Dobbs, Eoin Porter, Dean Kelly (Conor Sutton `62)

Referee: Jim McKell .Assistants. Adam Tszampel and Eoin Harte.


Letters to the Editor

  • Our View

    As dry as the SaharaIt seems that whenever the weather in Ireland goes a little bit extreme, we are somehow incapable of dealing with it. It has already happened so far this year with the snow that totally disrupted the country for about a week and also later on when some areas in the country were flooded due to excess rain. Now it is happening again because we are having to deal with a level of sunshine that is virtually unheard of in the country. And a level of sunshine that is going on for a good numbe …

    read more »

Weekly Poll